The convenience of automobiles often comes at a high price, with car accidents being a common occurrence across the country. In fact, the United States accounted for 37,461 deaths from motor vehicle crashes according to the Highway Loss Data Institute. While the number of car-related deaths is staggering, it’s important to remember that many more individuals sustained injuries from their accidents and survived. The sheer number of accidents due to negligence makes it essential for you to find an auto injury lawyer if you are hurt in a crash. Our DUI defense and personal injury law firm is here to help optimize the outcome for your case following a crash. The Law Office of Jill M. Jackson was established to help Coloradans with the guidance and representation they deserve after a life-changing accident. We’re proud to be your team of personal injury lawyers in Denver, and our dedication to comprehensive litigation ensures that everything is done to create a positive outcome.
Being injured in a car accident can create major disruptions in your life, from physical restrictions to lost wages and medical bills. After an injury, many individuals are unsure as how to proceed. Today, we’ll begin to look into personal injury claims that result from an accident, as well as the importance of finding a quality car accident attorney to represent you through the complex legal process. When you are done reading, be sure to contact our law firm today to learn more.
Roughly half of all of the car accidents in our country turn into injury claims, making it very important to be able to know when you are entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering. In order for you to have a claim for an auto injury liability case, you will need to be able to prove that the other party in the accident was at fault through negligence. This approach follows the consensus of our criminal justice system, where all parties are innocent until proven guilty. The courts will assume that all drivers involved were obeying the traffic laws and driving responsibly until incoming evidence indicates otherwise.
The process of acquiring compensation from your auto accident claim serves to prove that any damages that you sustained were the result of negligence on the part of another driver. Oftentimes, finding a driver at fault for an injury can be very complex, especially when multiple factors are in play. If a police officer took a report on your accident, his or her investigation and notes will play a major role in clarifying fault and negligence.
One helpful way to streamline your auto injury claim is to reach out to your insurance company as soon as you can following your accident. Once your insurer receives your claim, they will dispatch a claims adjuster to get the ball rolling. This individual is tasked with many jobs in relation to investigating who is at fault and for how much, including:
- The police report. Officers are experienced in dealing with auto accidents, making their reports after your injury very valuable in gleaning insight into what happened from an objective point of view.
- Verbal statements between parties. While the time following a car crash is often emotional and stressful, it’s important to remember that what you say can have a major effect on the outcome of your injury claim.
- Safety-related citations. Any citations that are issued following an accident can majorly affect any injury case. From DUI charges to faulty vehicle fines, the legal ramifications for the wreck can help to provide useful information into what happened.
- Witness statements. Gaining eyewitness testimonies will greatly help in clearing up what happened between two or more drivers. Oftentimes, third-party witnesses provide an unbiased account of what transpired. Claims adjusters will also collect photographs and traffic videos from the scene of the accident.
- Medical assistance. Whether or not you decide to visit an emergency room and how long you wait to do so can affect the outcome of your personal injury claim.
- Records and medical bills. The numbers surrounding your medical treatment will be checked and adjusted based on a variety of factors, from the amount of wages that you lost due to the injury to the ongoing medical costs associated with that injury. The claims adjuster will also review the payment limits that accompany your car insurance policy. In many cases, the direction and outcome of an injury claim hinges on your level of coverage.
When it comes to seeking compensation for an auto injury, it’s important to follow the procedure as closely as possible to maximize the outcome for your case. It is also essential to find an experienced auto injury lawyer that has the expertise and know-how to help you navigate the complex legal process. Next time, we’ll continue this blog by discussing what an injury claim requires and the types of damages sought with that claim.
If you are in need of a team of professional personal injury lawyers in Denver, be sure to reach out to the Law Office of Jill M. Jackson. Jill and our team of car accident attorneys will work hard to optimize your case, delivering unmatched representation and a focus on personalizing each case for the benefit of the client. Contact us today to learn more about our practice or to learn more about our personal injury law firm.